The Essence of Local Self - Governance in India
Facilitator, English Academy, Vivekanandha Educational Institutions, Tiruchengode, Tamil Nadu, India
Ph.D. Part-time Research Scholar, Department of Political Science and Development Administration, Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed to be University) Gandhigram, Dindigul District, Tamil Nadu, India
Peer Review Report
Reviewer’s Comments to Authors
This paper on ‘the essence of local self-governance in India’ aimed to highlight historical background of Panchayat Raj Institutions and to give an overview about the organization, structure and functions of Panchayat Raj in India. This descriptive study has been conducted by using both primary and secondary sources of data collections. A structured interview schedule was prepared and primary data was collected from the Panchayat Presidents of Namakkal Block at Namakkal district in Tamil Nadu.
- There is no information on period of study, techniques used for collecting the data, sample size and number of respondents taken for the study. The author should focus on the above mentioned parts which are mainly needed for a research study.
- It is mentioned that some structured interview schedule was prepared to collect the data from respondents (Panchayat Presidents of Namakkal Block at Namakkal district in Tamil Nadu) as primary source of data collection. But there were no any analysis has been listed in the paper and/or major findings from the interview.
- Abstract is missing. Abstract will be given for the short view of entire study and it should cover the complete need of the study and more number of keywords can be given. So the readers of the article can get narrative view of the entire study.
- Title of the paper is not fulfilling in the content of the paper. Lots of clumsy information are availing in the paper. So, the author should eliminate the contents which are not needed for the study.
- There is no reason provided why the case study of Mrs. Arukkani (Vatampatti Village Panchayat). It is confusing the need of the paper. The author should justify the reason why the case study has given or otherwise it can be removed from the paper.
- Researcher can be highlight the research gap and pave the way for future research (scope for future research).
- There was no mention of the limitations of the study, one of which is the apparently high dropout rate. Also, mention how your results compare to (reference given to author) another study which was published very recently.
- For every reference there should be a footnote in the relevant pages. References given in the reference part does not exactly matching with the reviews of related literatures given. Author should concentrate on this mismatch and rectify.
- There is no source of information available in the data, table and picture given in the paper. It is advised to the author to include the reference of sources to below of each table and pictures.
- Non-frequency of the contents is there which are to be given more concentrate for valuable research study.
- Too many information has given randomly which is not particularly meet out the need for the study. The author should eliminate some data which is not relevant to the study.
- Unnecessary wordings should be avoided.
- Data are given randomly which is not prepared under the rules of a research paper. So, the author should restructure the paper as per the structure of a publication.
Associate Editor’s Critique
The study has much strength where there was minor weakness also. The very important needed information of the study like missing of abstract, methodology used for the study, sources for the data, table of analysis and pictures given in the study and findings from the study are missing. The author should include all the needed information for the study to strengthen the value of the paper.
Constructiveness of Comments
The review committee has given the constructive comments to the author /researcher.
Level of Detail of the Review
The review is fairly detailed, but the reviewer missed data inconsistence in the required field. There are minor corrections to be taken place before the final review.
Substantiation of Comments
The reviewer made comments on the paper with references.
Was the Review Biased?
The study was reviewed under ‘nil’ biased basis.
Recommendation from the Reviewer
I recommend that, this paper be accepted after the above mentioned minor revisions.